Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Oh Tuesday

Typically Tuesdays are days with C, where we run around together, doing errands and I spend the rest of the day catching up on chores but because he had no school yesterday today is sort of a free day.  The chores all got done yesterday!  (I suppose I could find more to do, and surely I will, but it's only 815am so give me a little time to wake up!)

The one thing I do know is the new dinner we are having tonight and I am so excited about!  I got this cookbook last year for my birthday (thanks M!) and have tried a few things in it but then sort of put it away.  Over the winter break I pulled it out and got excited about it again!  While I missed the years that Art Smith was on Oprah and cooking for her (yea, I was a little busy with small kids and running a small business) I do think he has some great recipes! 

So tonights dinner will surely be a winner because M loves pasta and I love veggies!  I think the chicken nuggets will be a nice touch for the kids too, since I am sure they will pass on trying this one!

Fettuccine with Roasted Asparagus and Mushrooms
from Back to the Table by Art Smith

1lbs thin asparagus (I am using frozen)
10 oz of mushrooms (I am using button mushrooms tonight)
2T of extra virgin olive oil
S & P to taste
12 oz egg fettuccine(I am using whole wheat pasta)
4 T unsalted butter
1 small shallot, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 c ricotta
1/3 c parmesan cheese 
2 T chopped chives (I forgot to buy these and do not see myself going out to buy them!)

Position rack to the top third of oven and preheat to 450.  Bring a large pot of water to boil.
Toss Asparagus and mushrooms with oil and season to taste, spread on a large baking sheet.  Bake, stirring often until just tender (12 - 15 minutes).  Cut asparagus into 1 inch lengths and cover loosely.
Meanwhile, cook pasta until barely tender. 
While pasta is cooking heat butter in a medium skillet and medium heat. Add shallot and garlic and cook, stirring often until softened (about 2 minutes).
Scoop 1/2 c of the cooking water out of the pot and reserve.  Drain the pasta and return to the pot.  Add asparagus and mushrooms, ricotta and Parmesan cheese, garlic and shallots (with the butter you cooked it in) and the chives. Toss gradually adding enough cooking water to make a creamy sauce.  Season to taste with S & P.  
Serve hot with additional Parmesan cheese.
I am also making some garlic cheesy toast and a salad to go with this! 



2 comments:

  1. PS! I must add, this dinner was SO easy and SO yummy....M actually said "one of the best in a long time"! Adding it to the "LOVE" file!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious. Maybe you can make it for my family this summer!!

    ReplyDelete